I made a jacket.
Jan 22, 2012
This jacket consumed my life during the past week. Pretty much every spare moment was spent sewing this thing together, but it’s finally done and I’m really happy with how it turned out! It’s a bomber style jacket that I spiked with gold tree spikes from studsandspikes.com.
The pattern for this jacket was based off of the free Burdastyle JJ shirt pattern, but I did tons of modifications. I added in-seam pockets, made it long-sleeved, used a zipper instead of buttons, added a lining and cuffs, and did a new collar. It’s made out of black denim (that I took from my parents’ house during the Christmas break) and lined with yellow fleece to keep it warm.
Without a doubt the sleeves were the biggest bitch of the project. Modifying the sleeve pattern took FOREVER, and then constructing it was so tedious (putting all those spikes on the sleeves…omg…painful). I also had issues with the black ribbing. It was originally a navy blue colour, but I had to dye the fabric black TWICE in order to get a decent colour (and it’s still not as black as I would like). The jacket is also a bit big for me and the collar and zipper aren’t perfect, but I still think it looks really good
and there’s no way in hell I’m gonna try and fix everything. I plan on taking pictures of me wearing it once it gets a bit warmer and there’s no precipitation.
Overall, I’m really happy with how the jacket turned out. It’s the first time I’ve sewed clothing since high school, but it’s probably the best thing I’ve made. I have another jacket design in my head, but I think I need a break from my sewing machine. lol.
In other news:
After a few hours of excessive coding and a mini-panic attack last night (I accidentally disabled my blog’s admin login), I was able to add an email subscribe box in the left sidebar. So if you want email notifications of new posts feel free to subscribe! I also updated my contact page by adding a contact form instead of just linking to the one on my portfolio site. Yay!